Red Fire Ant Nest Dirt
Red fire ants are used in Southern-style rootwork for enemy work, as you might expect from a curio involving this invasive species with its painful bite. Fire ants and fire ant nest dirt are used to agitate and irritate a target and are often associated with tricks to "run somebody crazy" so they are never relaxing/settling/getting comfortable and are always agitated -- beyond movement and into mind and mood, as well.
While ants can be used in workings that aren't enemy tricks, I wouldn't use red fire ants for those, myself - I'd use a different, less aggressive/ouchy species, but YMMV.
I do not use any poisons or anything dangerous in the gathering or packaging of this ant nest curio. I gather these very carefully, with appropriate containers, in distinct phases so there is a 0% chance any of these ants are still alive when the jar comes into my house.
Once it does, it goes into a different airtight container where it stays until I need to use it or package it up for someone's shipment, so there's even less of a chance any of them are alive at that point, usually months later. Bottom line, your glass vial full of red ant nest dirt may or may not contain any insect carcasses, but it will not contain any living ants.
The number of actual ants I scoop up compared to the dirt just depends on what's available and how established the nest is. Their bites really suck so I don't spend any longer fishing for ant bodies in the capture than I have to. I simply scoop up as much nest as I can safely and quickly and seal it up carefully.
Exact composition and weight will vary since these are natural curios and insects don't do things to spec.
The actual color of the dirt can and will vary, too. They sometimes build nests in red dirt, but they don't always. Sometimes they build them in your tomato seedlings' lovely potting soil or in the sandy earth near your chicken coop or in the rich humus heaps you were looking forward to amending your broccoli patch with. No, my garden's doing just fine this year, I'm not bitter - why? ;)
- Small Corked Bottle: You'll receive a corked glass vial similar to the ones pictured. The vials can vary slightly depending on stock/supplier, but yours will be at least 20 mls capacity (which is a little over half a fluid ounce by volume, which is the size of my condition oil bottles; the two pictured on the right are both about 20 mls).
- Small Bag: 2x3 plastic zipper bag, contains ~1 oz.
handling times start at five business days minimum for all items (excludes weekends and holidays)
posted handling times are estimates, not guarantees, and will vary depending on order size and amount of customization involved
all sales are final; we do not accept returns
any refunds must be initiated by us; chargebacks are considered theft
we will send a personal acknowledgment email within 48 business hours of receiving your payment to let you know your order has entered processing, after which it cannot be modified or canceled
we will send a notification email when we purchase your shipping label for your packaged order, so when it's ready to ship, you know as soon as we know
we are not able to provide updates during order processing beyond these two emails
any unusual issues affecting handling times will be announced on our website and social media channels
- handling times start at five business days minimum (excludes weekends and holidays); customization generally requires 10 business days minimum
- posted handling times are estimates, not guarantees, and will vary depending on order size and amount of customization involved
- all sales are final; we do not accept returns
- we will send a notification email when we purchase your shipping label for your packaged order, so when it's ready to ship, you know as soon as we know
- we are not able to provide updates during order processing beyond this notification - the answer is always going to be "your order will ship when it is ready"
- any unusual issues affecting handling times will be announced on our website and social media channels and in the shop announcements section
- we don't send instructions for anything that doesn't say it comes with instructions