Our Lady of Perpetual Help Tin Shrine Ornament
The famous icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help shows the Virgin Mary seated as an enthroned empress with the Christ Child on her lap and the archangels Michael and Gabriel flying aloft at her shoulders.
As is typical with pretty much all Marian apparitions, her devotees petition the aid of Our Lady of Perpetual Help for all kinds of things, not just concerns falling under the narrower umbrella of her official patronage.
In Harry Middleton Hyatt's collections of folklore and folk religion, his informants especially noted her intervention for healing of illness, keeping food on the table, and opening the way to new opportunities like jobs when things are stuck or stalled (v. 2, pp. 962 ff).
This handmade ornament is intended to evoke the Blessed Mother's elegance and grace but without removing all the rough edges and scuff marks that are part of this icon's history and that characterize the fabric of her devotees' genuine lived lives.
From reclaimed post-consumer tinplate, I hand-cut and hammered the frame and its accordion-folded corona to encase this tiny print reproduction of the icon. A bit of 24K gold glaze plays against existing scuff and rust marks, giving them a subtle sheen but also protecting the piece from further rust.
After filing and sanding sharp corners and edges, I embellish it from my stash of fabrics, metals, beads, and trims to convey elegant imperfection, using reclaimed post-consumer aluminum, steel, and copper wire, lace ribbon in a floral motif, a deep burgundy pure silk ribbon that's approaching vintage age, a scattering of flat-backed resin and Swarowski crystals, a dusting of ultra-fine glitter, and a crystal from a reclaimed vintage chandelier.
Tinplate body is 2.25" high by 1.5" wide. With the cord at its current length measuring to the bottom of the crystal while hanging, entire piece is 6" long.
While this and all my tinplate work is filed/sanded carefully to remove sharp protrusions and corners, you should still keep in mind what it's made of and thus keep it away from children or pets.
These make great, affordable little decorations for your home or personal altar, but in my family, we will hang these on our Christmas trees and give them as gifts as Christmas ornaments, too. I love to do custom work, so message me if you have ideas for variations you'd like to see.
HANDLING TIMES: Please note published handling times, which start at 5 business days and will be longer for custom-finished items, large orders, and some specialty/extra strength formulas. Why? Two reasons:
One, I make all my formulas in tiny batches, decanting and praying over every oil order as it comes in, for instance. It's not a matter of just grabbing a bottle off a shelf and popping it into an envelope. And I stock only what I know I can use within a certain shelf life. That means I can have unexpected runs on formulas that use up my stock of an ingredient, and it takes a few days for more to arrive. The payoff for your patience is that you get fresh blends and fresh products, made by hand the old fashioned way, by a traditional rootworker with 35 years of experience.
Two, I live in the middle of nowhere and I have to expect time-sucking delays as par for the course, like the internet going down 'cause a cow broke the line, stuff like that.
USAGE: Oils are for prayer and ritual use; they are not cosmetics or perfumes. While some customers do use some dressing oils as anointing oils (which is not the same thing as wearing a perfume or cologne), they are careful to do a skin test first, since they know that all-natural does not equal hypoallergenic. If you need suggestions on how to use condition and anointing oils in the conjure tradition, see the Education link up top.
LEGALESE: As required by law, all items are sold as curios to preserve and teach the traditions of folklore and popular religion. I don't sell anything I don't use myself, though, and quite a few customers over the years have sworn by my traditional formulas since I started selling them in 2002.
MORE INFO / KEEP IN TOUCH: Visit our blog for more information on various spiritual products and their uses, plus over ten years' worth of articles about folklore and conjure. You can also sign up for our mailing list to get the latest news and subscriber-only goodies.
By using this site, you are stating that you understand and agree to our Terms of Service, including the following highlights:
* handling times start at five business days minimum for all items (excludes weekends and holidays)
* posted handling times are estimates, not guarantees, and will vary depending on order size and amount of customization involved
* all sales are final; we do not accept returns
* any refunds must be initiated by us; chargebacks are considered theft
* we will send a notification email when we purchase your shipping label for your packaged order, so when it's ready to ship, you know as soon as we know
* we are not able to provide updates during order processing beyond this notification
* any unusual issues affecting handling times will be announced on our website and social media channels
* we don't send instructions for anything that doesn't say it comes with instructions
See the TOS page for more details.
- handling times start at five business days minimum (excludes weekends and holidays); customization generally requires 10 business days minimum
- posted handling times are estimates, not guarantees, and will vary depending on order size and amount of customization involved
- all sales are final; we do not accept returns
- we will send a notification email when we purchase your shipping label for your packaged order, so when it's ready to ship, you know as soon as we know
- we are not able to provide updates during order processing beyond this notification - the answer is always going to be "your order will ship when it is ready"
- any unusual issues affecting handling times will be announced on our website and social media channels and in the shop announcements section
- we don't send instructions for anything that doesn't say it comes with instructions